Tuesday 8 May 2012

Fixed it!

I know it says if it breathes I can fix it, but one of the most recent patients wasn't even doing that recently!

We had just induced him when things went rather badly. His heart didn't have a brilliant rate, his pulses were impossible to find and he stopped breathing. Luckily I had a great team of students with me as well as some backup from other anaesthetists, nurses, students, etc.

We managed to resuscitate him and all is well once more. It was a rather hectic half hour, but definitely worth the effort.

What went wrong? He is an old boy - at least 16 years - and had lost of lot of weight recently. He had some kind of disease, although we were unsure what exactly, and were anaesthetising him for more tests. The theory is the drugs caused his blood pressure to drop quickly meaning his heart was none to happy.

No-one really knows for certain as we gave up with the tests and the owner decided to take him home for a bit before thinking what to do next. He wasn't any worse for his ordeal, after we were comfortable with his status he went back to the kennels where he ate all his food!



3 comments:

Ellie said...

Hi,
I just wanted to say that, as a *hopefully* future vet student, I really enjoy reading your blog. Its really interesting! I am, at the moment (this weekend), trying to decide between the University of Edinburgh and the University of Glasgow for veterinary and so I was wondering if you could answer some questions for me:

- I had heard that Edinburgh has good rabbit, exotics, wildlife facilities... do the vet students get the benefit of these, for example, do you rotate through them as part of the course? I'm just curious because I'm really interested in exotics.
- What is the academic support for students? I had heard that the advisor to go to is the Director of Studies... does that work in practice, are they helpful/approachable?
- Is there a gym/exercise classes or anything at Pollock/for the university. I had read that the gym membership was about 100 pounds/yr and was always crowded and not very good... do you know if this is true?
- General likes/dislikes?

Replying to any of these questions would be really helpful in me making my decision.

Thanks,
Eleanor

Dash said...

Hi Ellie,
Good luck with the decision! I have to be honest, I've done 2 degrees (Biology and Vet med) and my small animal internship at Edinburgh and love the place. To answer your questions:

- We have great wildlife facilities including a new handling teaching unit for all the students to use. You get to rotate through the exotics service in final year, but can also see work experience there during the earlier years too.

- Academic support is great. I had a few problems during the earlier years and there wasn't a problem finding a DoS or another member of staff to talk to. I won't say everyone is lovely, but you can always talk to someone to who can help.

- The gym is great! The main one at Pleasance is sometimes crowded (but has great facilities), but we also have out own little gym at the Easter Bush campus where the vet school is based. That has a few running machines, weights etc.

- I love the city itself. It's not a big as Glasgow, but there is still plenty of nightlife, as well as some empty space and hills to climb if you need to escape work. To be honest I can't really remember too much about the pre-clinical course apart from it was hard work. Clinical things are much better.

Anyone more questions, just let me know. If you leave an email address I can either reply or get someone more official to answer.

Ellie said...

Hi,
Thanks for replying previously - the exotics program sounds great! I actually had just a couple more questions, if you have time to answer them:

- I don't know if you had any vet friends at Glasgow, but I was wondering if you knew anything about how the program at Edinburgh compared to that at Glasgow?
- Also, I had heard that Edinburgh was going to be bringing in its own shuttle bus next year to transport students from Pollock Halls to Easterbush, but nobody from Edinburgh had confirmed that with me, do you know anything about it?
- How much (if any) animal husbandry do you do in years 1 - 3?

Thanks a lot, and my email is ellielw627@gmail.com

Thanks,
Ellie