Tuesday 24 July 2012

Mac

I met a lovely stray dog whilst at work when he arrived to have a broken tooth removed. He was very shy at first, wide brown eyes looking sideways at everyone, not wanting to look in to eyes and challenge their dominance. The hallmarks of being in kennels at the rescue centre were obvious but beneath it all he was an absolutely lovely dog who just needed someone to love and trust. I sat with him when he was recovering from his operation and he rested his head on my knee, licked my hand and went to sleep. I like to think he chose me, but it could have been the painkillers!

Scared puppy

A few days later I made discreet enquires to the shelter as to whether or not he had a home and went to visit to see if he remembered me. He was such a different dog in his "home" environment of the centre. Waggy tail, bright eyes, interested in the environment, a far cry from the scared pup I met. And he didn't have a home. Yet.

I reserved him, but my main problem was I had nowhere to keep him. He couldn't stay at my current flat due to allergies of a flatmate. One of my amazing work colleagues already has a dog and offered to take him to get him out of the shelter and in to a normal life, on one condition - he had to get on with her dog.

On first meeting there were a lot of happy looks through the gate before we introduced them face to face. He seemed to remember me more and more, possible due to the treats I'd been feeding him when I visited. We let them play together and it was clear from the start they got on like a house on fire. Minor grumbles over who had which toy were quickly sorted out, and it was clear he loved the company.

So he came home. It's been a few weeks now. He stays with my friend and her dog but I get to see him at work most days. Soon he will be staying with me full time as I move to somewhere new. He is so much happier with a home and people he knows. He has got used to his new name, Mac, and will sit and give paw on command.

In case anyone is wondering Mac is the initials of a couple of good friends. It's also an anaesthesia acronym. But I wouldn't be that geeky...would I?

Definitely happy!

No comments: