Friday 28 December 2007

Clincal Work

I've spent the last two days seeing clinical practice here in Edinburgh and I'm loving it as much as expected. There has been a variety of cases so far, but nothing too much out of the ordinary yet. I have mainly discovered I'm not used to standing for 11 hours a day. Sore feet!

There have been several discussions about chemotherapy for dogs with lymphosarcoma. I was told the life expectancy for a case of lymphosarcoma is approximately 3 months, and with treatment this increases to 6-9 months. Is it really worth it? Some of the medications have pretty nasty side effects, can be expensive, and are dangerous. I don't know the full story, there are lectures next year where I expect to learn more about complete remission rates and other important factors.

I'm back again next week and hoping to see more cases and learn even more. It's great revision for pharmacology and anaesthesiology, plus I find myself going over pathology. I'll use the weekend to read over what I have learned so far.

No comments: