Tuesday 1 April 2008

Vetting

I've spent the last couple of days seeing practice here in Wales. The practice I am with is a small mixed practice down the Conwy valley where I have been going for the past 9 years. It's is a long time.

So far there hasn't been much out of the ordinary - a few sheep caesars, a cat involved in an RTA and various other "normal" things such as boosters and bandaging. All the time the vets have been testing me and asking questions about basically everything they are doing from drug administration to diagnosis. It's better I look like an idiot in front my friends rather than my examiners, it gives me a chance to learn.

Today my lovely dog came with me. She is fairly old now and has various lumps and bumps, but there was one on her chest that was a bit odd. We took a small sample under sedation and had a look down the microscope. There was only lipid to be seen on the slide suggesting the lump is nothing more than a lipoma, although there is always the risk of a liposarcoma. Good news for the dog - the plan is just to monitor and see how it progresses.

No comments: