Saturday 27 February 2010

Anaesthesia

Wow those 2 weeks went quickly! We covered so much in a short space of time that my brain had problem processing it.

Equine anaesthesia was so quiet with only 2 horses the entire week, so we spent our time enjoying tutorials! Two a day for the entire week covering a range of topics such as blood gas analysis, farm animal anaesthesia, drugs, emergencies and breathing systems. The days weren't too long, but very intense. On the Friday I placed my first IV cannula in a horse though! Very excited. Got it in first time without too much hassle - the are much easier than in a sick calf.

This past week has been small animal anaesthesia, and it was hectic. Often non-stop days from 9 until 5, and later, where we put the theoretical skills from the previous week to good use. It's a busy service, and at times can be slightly dull, but there are moments of total chaos that make up for it. All of my patients survived too, so can't have been doing things too badly.

Next week is the start of equine, and I'm dreading it. It's not something I enjoy, and the idea of covering the intensive care ward at the same time as being on medicine rotation doesn't fill me with joy.

No comments: