Wednesday 14 October 2009

7 hours

Spent 7 hours in surgery on 2 ops. Only a bitch spay and a castrate, this shouldn't have taken very long at all. Maybe 3 hours at the absolute maximum.

Bitch spay was our first op at 9.30. Except she wasn't ready until 10.30 despite there being a plan and all sorts of things meant to be happening afterwards. No problems though, we got around to it and just took our time. She was a rather large Rottie so not great surgical conditions.

After that cue 3 hours of waiting around for the next op. Or not, as they decided at the last minute not to do it. And then another 2 hour wait for the next dog to be ready.

In my limited experiences from EMS these things shouldn't take this long. Maybe I'll appreciate it more when I'm on anaesthesia, but it was just annoying! I can do a dog castrate in under 30 minutes from the induction time, but the waiting around was just dull.

Oh and I don't like being watched, so having a group of 10 or so fourth years watching was not great. Run away!

On the plus side there are only a couple more days of ICU to go. Then microbiology. I doubt there will be very many late nights there. Plus I have a degree in that, so shouldn't be too taxing. Wonder if I can get an exemption...

No comments: