Thursday 8 October 2009

ICU part 2

*Names changed to protect the guilty*

Sooooo....Our one night when SpanielDog is off constant monitoring because he has no chest drains...

First a paracetamol toxicity dog. Not too bad. Fairly simple. Quite pissed off as back to constant monitoring. Just need one night off!!

Become happy that dog is not on constant monitoring. May get to sleep after all.

Some shitty little Yorkie with porto-systemic shunt (4yo!) decided to have a fit at 6pm. Resident puts it in ICU for seizure watch. Not impressed. Back to constant monitoring. I get the 1-4.30am shift.

Dog walking takes from 2030-2200. Ortho decide to take a case to surgery (after ordering/eating pizza for themselves) and takes the nurse and Laura away. Just me and Jane walking.

I'm having to do the midnight walks/meds with Rachel. This will not take long. I will then stay up for my constant monitoring shift and cover Laura's if she is a) too tired or b) still in surgery.

Grand total sleep - from midday til 1400. And maybe 0430-0600 if I'm lucky. I may become homicidal if the weekend is like this, except then I'd have to do all the work!

No comments: