Tuesday 6 October 2009

ICU Part 1

Not too sure if I'll have to update this as much as I'd like, but I'll try.

At the moment I'm covering the small animal ICU here at uni. This involves two separate weeks of night and day work. Currently I'm on the night shift which involves working from 4pm until 10am the next day. It's quite a long shift! Especially the tutorial at the end.

It is said that a difficult ICU week can turn even the most reasonable of people into a homicidal crazy person at the best of times, and I can see why! Most of out time is spent sitting about watching animals all night, or walking everything in the hospital at least 4 times. It does not require a lot of mental power, but it gets tiring.

Tonight I'm on the 0430 constant monitoring shift. And I have to do rounds at midnight. So maybe 4 hours sleep if I'm very lucky and the damn pager doesn't go off. Ah well.

No comments: