Saturday 2 June 2007

EMS

So exams are finally over, and with nothing left bust 7 weeks of EMS to complete before I am finished for the year I am having a lazy day. On the go again next week.

EMS stands for extra-mural studies. It is a course requirement for animal husbandry that we visit various places and gain experience in handling all sorts of animals. I think the current requirement at Edinburgh is 12 weeks including:
  • 2 weeks sheep (including 1 week lambing)
  • 2 weeks cattle
  • 2 weeks horses
  • 1 week pigs
  • 1 week poultry
  • 1 week dog and cat
  • 1 week small mammal
  • 2 weeks free choice
So far I've spent time with sheep, dogs and cats and small mammals with the rest planned for the next few weeks. The idea is that we are on farms or similar places learning how to care for the animals, what they eat, any routines they have during the year etc etc. My best experience so far was working with small mammals at Edinburgh Zoo, as well as getting some experience in with more exotic species. It's a great idea, and I really look forward to my next few weeks.

1 comment:

blog dog said...

Ooh, our requirement was 12weeks too...but we didn't get free choice I'm sure. In our day..