Thursday 19 July 2007

Head Fixing

Yesterday was the appointment of doom with the lovely people who were going to fix my eyes and head. It started off badly as no one seemed to know where I was meant to be going. Was I an emergency appointment or a referral? Or a regular patient? Turns out I'm an emergency. Nice to be classified like that to my face. Didn't really help the feeling of "Oh shit!". I don't intend to tell my patients they are emergencies unless I know what is wrong with them and are helping them.

Anyway, I was first seen by a nurse who handed me off to a lovely lady to got me to look various ways, asked about the double vision and stuck a prism on my glasses. Only a temp fix and it really makes my eyes sore when I first use it, but better than nothing, at least I can maybe see straight.

Doctor time next, more poking, prodding and shoving. No muscle weakness here! There were a few hundred questions about headaches, eyes, family, etc etc, then a quick look at my retina. This involved stimulating the sympathetic bit of the eye whilst blocking the parasympathetic with eye drops and watching my pupils go HUGE. There were really bright lights shone at me which I really didn't enjoy. Couldn't see straight for ages and my eyes were watering and wanting to close. Then a quick poke of the old eyes to make sure they have feeling, and yes they do. Lots of it.

All this took about 3 hours, and the final verdict is my abductor muscles on my left eye are basically being slow. It could be an old thing decompensating, but no one knows why, so time for more tests. They took 6000 pints* of my blood to look for anything and everything which, considering some of my virus work could be fun. And I have an MRI planned for sometime in the next couple of weeks. In the meantime I'm to go back if my head explodes.

All very exciting, but I feel like I'm no further in guessing why I can't see very well. Still, loads of revision to do, EMS to write up and things to climb.

-------
* This may be a slight exaggeration

No comments: