Wednesday 4 July 2007

Stage 4 - Man Down!

During the trip back to Wales it became pretty clear that I was in no fit state to carry on with the challenge. Between us we guessed that I was suffering from dehydration, exhaustion and a pinch of hypothermia added in just for fun. Luckily there were 3 vets to look after me. The decision was made to leave me behind.

In retrospect its pretty obvious that this was a good plan. The weather up Snowdon was terrible with poor visability and the aches and pains of two others mountains dragging the group down, although they made it in the end.

For my part, I arrived home at 0500 Sunday morning, said hello to the dog, and then went straight to bed. There was the sensation of being dehydrated for a couple of days with my body not being happy with lots of liquids at once. I started the horse EMS on Monday, staggering in to the place, hardly able to walk due to general bad legs and hips. Everything seems to be fixed, except for a few huge bruises on my legs where I fell in the river.

All over now. I'm upset that I didn't make it up the last peak, but it was the most sensible option. Maybe next year.

2 comments:

blog dog said...

Hey, sorry you had to stop early. Sounds wise though.

How are the horsies behaving?

Dash said...

Horses are ok so far. I spend most of my morning mucking out and the afternoon cleaning horses and bits of kit. Not very exciting, but I'm observing and learning about horsey humans as well as the animals themselves.

How goes the horses for you?